2 Squadron RAAF - History
Number 2 Squadron was formed in September 1916 in Kantarra, Egypt - as part of the Australian Flying Corps - and commenced operations on the Western Front in October 1917. When war was declared in 1939, 2 Squadron was equipped with the Avro Anson and was conducting coastal patrols and providing convoy escorts to the ships carrying troops to the Middle East. In 1941, the Squadron was deployed to the Dutch East Indies, from where they mounted reconnaissance and bombing operations against the Japanese forces until the end of World War II.
In recognition of the work carried out by this Squadron, it was later awarded a United States Presidential Unit Citation - the highest award that can be bestowed upon a combat unit by the United States Government.